Thursday, March 29, 2012

tell the truth | the sixth month

...the thing that is so awful about it is that it's so plain.  Plain as in plain to see--in one way.  But also plainly true, in a sense.  I think that might be it's most deceptive feature: the true-ness part.  That's where the best lies lie.

//

"But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death

You may say to yourselves, 'How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?'  If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken.  That prophet has spoken presumptuously.  Do not be afraid of him."  (Deuteronomy 18: 20-22)

//

Commonly, it goes something like "G*d is doing so much right now. It's amazing"; "The L*rd is really moving right now"; "I just feel like G*d is calling me in a different direction"; "I don't need a man; J3sus is my boyfriend" and so on/so forth.  Statements like these aren't all that odd among Chr1sti@n folk.  They're standard ways of communicating the way life seems; or, at the very least (perhaps worst), they're standard ways of communicating the ways we'd like others to think life seems to us.  (some re-reading of that last sentence is probably necessary; the structure's a little ridiculous). It's not uncommon because that's how we're supposed to read our life; that's how we've been taught to speak/think; in spiritu@l terms--otherwise, they're often wouldn't be much to give our conversations distinction from others of others.  I'm not getting at the nominality of most believers--not there yet.  I'm talking more about the inclination to be perceived otherwise, and the words that come with it. 

For many, being a believer means talking about the F@ther, a lot; but, not just in regular conversation, but everywhere. Pick your social media.  Twitter. Facebook. Whatever.  But in regular conversation too.  And ch*rch meetings.  Now passion is one thing; and passion is definitely needed.  But, it's also important to know what it means to say what G*d is doing here and now on earth, in your life and/or the life of anyone else.  When you say what G*d is doing, you speak as a prophet; you speak for G*d--and people got killed over that sort of thing. 

//

"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of G*d!  How unsearchable his judgements, and His paths beyond tracing out!  Who has ever known the mind of the Lord?"

Then later...

"We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith."  (Romans 11:33-4, 12:6)

//

Of the gifts Paul lists in this section, prophecy is the only one he qualifies in such a way.  With the others, it goes like "If it's _____ let him _____"; but with prophecy he asks that the one prophesying does so "in proportion to his faith."  But what does Paul mean here, exactly?  Interpretation is a sticky thing, but I'll venture a guess:  I think Paul is saying that the one who prophesying should prophesy in proportion to what he actually believes.  I think what Paul is saying is that believers should tell the truth.  And I would assume, that since the penalty about doing that sort of thing incorrectly, at one time, was death then you had better believe what you are saying as if your life was on the line.  I think that's the pertinent definition of belief here;  I think that's the level of faith Paul's referring to.

But the narratives about G*d and/or what He is doing (and/or words about how awesome He is) are rarely treated with such gravity.  Often enough they're thrown around, without thought of consequence/without real attendance to the reality of the Person they're addressing.  Because, the fact of the matter is that every use of H*s name and purpose that isn't backed by intentions seriously thought out is a use of H*s name in vain--which is at least a trespass against the commandments, and a flat-out lie if the speaker isn't speaking it for the right reasons.  But it all sounds so good, our G*d words, and that's part of the thing that makes it all so hard to tease out of ourselves, let alone others (I mean, really, we should let alone others).  

But like I said, that's just where the best lies lie.

The name of G*d isn't for show.  His plans aren't an advertisement, not a self-promotion tactic, or a means to an end.  The name of G*d is an end in and of itself.  It's power, to be used at the user's peril.  I feel that when we misuse His name so we almost talk Him out of existence, for ourselves and for others.  Too often, if you talk about G*d  just right He means just enough to mean nothing.  

//

The Word meeting went as Word meetings go.  We read and stuff. Made observations.  Shared. (Somewhat).  I'm casting the wrong light, because I really enjoyed the talk and the Word.  I think my distraction was what gives a sour taste upon reflection.  One of the members of our study was, and had been for several meetings, less-than-thrilled.  Straight up bored and glassy-eyed is better and the fact of it made a stab at my heart.  A thrill was what I felt should be felt but that definitely wasn't here (you hope it's there), because this man looked quite a bit removed from any discernible emotion, not to even mention thrilled.  I admit, I asked myself for quite some time afterword how someone could be so detached.  I mean, we were talking about the words of life here.

//

And I think that might be the worst thing, how we can damage others with the show of spiritu@lity.  If the exchange of the Word of G*d for words about G*d happens enough, the two become nigh indistinguishable, and when the cracks begin to show in the lies, the truth that we married to them gets thrown out with the rest....and that's just about when people lose the thrill of the Word of G*d.

 //

“I hate, I despise your religious festivals; your assemblies are a stench to me.  Even though you bring burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them.  Though you bring choice fellowship offerings, I will have no regard for them. Away with the noise of your songs!  I will not listen to the music of your harps. But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream." (Amos 5:21-4)

2 comments:

  1. Truth: may I always revel in it! Thanks for your insights, son =D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts couldn't be more relevant to my needs, man. I thank God for you.

    ReplyDelete